When developing an instructional unit plan, an effective teacher will consider the placement within a sequence of events of the model curricula. Multiple perspectives of diverse backgrounds and the use of technology are embedded.
For this assignment, based on the knowledge and skills you have gained in the course:
- Develop a 5-day instructional unit plan that could be adapted to the current curriculum map in the classroom. The unit plan should be in the grade level and content area that matches your field experience placement.
- Your field experience of teaching small groups in weeks 3 and 4 will be 2 of the 5-day unit plan. Days 1, 2, and 5 can be built around the small group instructional plans. Use the “COE Lesson Plan Template” for each lesson. Include details on the resources and materials needed for the unit plan to be effective for all students and adequate for the discipline. If you are using websites or videos, provide a link to those sites in the lesson plan template.
- Be sure you are considering the unique learning needs of each student. Create an engaging unit plan that pays special attention to the appropriateness and effectiveness of the learning experiences planned and the opportunities to develop students’ knowledge and skills. In addition, pay close attention to relevant objectives as they support the embedded standards. Create relevant assessments that align to the appropriate learning goals and content standards.
- Your unit plan needs a cover sheet that outlines the grade level, subject area, and topic you are covering in the unit. The audience for this lesson would be the classroom you are currently completing your field experience in. Collaborate with your mentor teacher where appropriate.
- Additionally, in a 500-750 word reflection explain the process by which you continued to follow a curriculum map and developed five lessons to support the curriculum. Provide a rationale for the strategies selected and sequencing built. Explain the choice of assessments and any re-teaching that could be necessary. Explain how understanding cultural, ethnic, gender, and learning differences creates a more relevant learning experiences and promote ethical practice.
Support your findings with 3-5 scholarly resources.
While APA format is not required for this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies [and professional standards]:
MA in Secondary Education
2.2: Teacher candidates evaluate and modify instructional resources and curriculum materials for their comprehensiveness, accuracy for representing particular concepts in the discipline, and appropriateness for his/her learners. (InTASC 4f)
3.4: Teacher candidates select and create learning experiences and assessments that are appropriate for curriculum goals and content standards, aligned to learning objectives and are relevant to learners. (InTASC 6b, 7a)
3.5: Teacher candidates use appropriate strategies, develop appropriate sequencing, and provide multiple ways to demonstrate knowledge and skill. (InTASC 7c, 8a)
4.1: Teacher candidates engage in ongoing learning opportunities to develop knowledge and skills in order to provide all learners with engaging curriculum and learning experiences within the context of local and state standards. (InTASC 9a, 10f)