Discussion: PSE Aims of Socialization
Professor of Human Development James Garbarino asserts that for children’s optimal well-being, current society must view childhood as the social space in which to lay the foundation for the best that human development has to offer. This statement gives rise to the questions: What are society’s goals/aims for children? Who and what in society have the most influence on how successfully children achieve these goals/aims?
Review the “Aims for Socialization” section (pages 41-48) in Chapter 2 of the course text.
By Day 3
Post your thoughts with regard to:
- Garbarino’s viewpoint as expressed in the quote.
- The aims of socialization (as referred to in your text) that you believe are the most valuable and why
- How you hope to help the children and families you work with in the future to achieve those aims.
Discussion: Fair and Equitable?
As you have learned from the text and perhaps from your own experiences, characteristics such as gender, culture, socioeconomic status, learning styles, disabilities, and at-risk status can impact the ways that adults relate to and interact with children. As a professional, it is vital that you evaluate your own attitudes and strive to be fair, equitable, and proactive in your interactions with children and families.
Review the “Student Characteristics and Teacher Interaction” section (pages 245-266) of your text.
Then consider the following questions:
- What are some of the complex issues related to gender?
- What are some of the complex issues related to culture and diversity?
- Do all children have an equal opportunity to succeed in school?
Choose two characteristics covered in the section you reviewed that concern you the most in terms of the potential for inequitable treatment of young children.
By Day 3
Post your thoughts with regard to the following:
- Identify the two characteristics you chose, and explain why each is of special concern to you.
- Explain how you as a professional can advocate for young children and families in each area. Be sure to also explain how you will ensure that your own behavior with regard to each characteristic is fair and equitable to children you work with and their families.
Submit Your Assignment and get professional help from our qualified experts!
explain how you will ensure that your own behavior with regard to each characteristic is fair and equitable was first posted on July 16, 2019 at 6:24 am.
©2019 "Submit Your Assignment". Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org