In this assignment, you will discuss healthcare policy and finance issues that are relevant to the population you discussed in Modules 1 and 2. You can seek out specific policies or legislation relevant to this group, or you can consider how aspects of larger policies (for example, the Affordable Care Act) may impact this group.
You may want to consider reviewing Countable – Poverty, which contains many proposed legislations.
You might also want to consider visiting support groups for your chosen populations to determine what policies and legislation the group is supporting (for example, the Foundation for Aids Research).
Some areas to consider might include:
- The National Health Law Program
- Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- H.R.4484 – Strengthening Healthcare Options for Vulnerable Populations Act
- H.R.4484 (113th): Strengthening Healthcare Options for Vulnerable Populations Act
- Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health (REACH) grants funded by the Centers for Disease Control
- Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Disparities Action Plan
Submit the following three (3) deliverables for this assignment:
- Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you take a position for or against your chosen legislation/policy, and provide a rationale for your position.
- Create a brief one (1) page Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendation (SBAR) of your chosen issue.
- Using the SBAR you created, write an articulate letter to an elected leader of your choice who has the power to effect change related to this issue, including a background summary and evidence as to why you believe they should support or oppose the legislation.
- Use at least three (3) scholarly resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other similar websites do not qualify as scholarly resources.
- Format Criteria 1 of your assignment (the paper) according to the following formatting requirements:
- Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Delineate the relationship between health care trends and providing high-quality nursing care.
- Analyze political, social, financial, biological, and/or educational issues related to healthcare.
- Apply moral, ethical, and legal implications to contemporary healthcare issues