The influence of poverty on health is a problem that transcends national borders. This week’s readings discussed some of the political, economic, and ethical issues that lead to health disparities in developed and developing countries. In addition, in this week’s first media presentation, Dr. Mancuso and Dr. Huijer shared insights on working within political systems to bring about positive changes in health care. Think about the importance of nurses in addressing these needs and in bringing about change.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the case study “Improving the Health of the Poor in Mexico.” Then, prepare your response to the following questions:
- How do politics and economics influence health and health care?
- What might the benefits be of awarding the mothers cash grants?
- What social problems might be created by giving the mothers cash grants?
- Do you think the resources were ethically distributed? (Think about stereotyping.)
- What changes do you think should be made to the program, if any?
- If the program were to be discontinued for any reason, what could you, as a nurse, say that might help to maintain funding?
- Do you think a similar program might work in your community? Why or why not?
By Day 3
Post your response to the following prompts:
Explain how politics and economics may influence health and the health care system from your own perspective. Analyze whether the political and/or economic systems play a major role in your or your family’s access to health and explain why. Then, describe how government intervention might benefit a health care system. Be specific and provide examples.
Support your response with references from the professional nursing literature.
Note Initial Post: A 3-paragraph (at least 350 words) response. Be sure to use evidence from the readings and include in-text citations. Utilize essay-level writing practice and skills, including the use of transitional material and organizational frames. Avoid quotes; paraphrase to incorporate evidence into your own writing. A reference list is required. Use the most current evidence (usually ≤ 5 years old).
“Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!”