Advocating for New Practice Approaches Through Policy
“I think one’s feelings waste themselves in words; they ought all to be distilled into actions which bring results.” -Florence Nightingale
Through the policy process, nurses can put their feelings-as well as their experiences and expertise-into actions that create results. In this course, you have been honing your skills for critically assessing evidence with the purpose of improving practice and developing new practice approaches. As a DNP-prepared nurse, you can influence health care outcomes at the population or aggregate level. Leading policy development to address health care concerns is a vital way to achieve this.
For the past several weeks, you have been focusing on a health care issue of interest to you for your EBP Project. For this Discussion, consider how you could lead policy development in support of a proposed evidence-based practice approach that addresses that issue and is designed to promote quality.
Reference: Nursing Schools. (2012). 100 entertaining and inspiring quotes for nurses.
To prepare: • Select one of the new practices approaches you developed for the Week 6 Discussion (See attached file)
• Review the Ridenour and Trautman (2009) and Stokowski et al. (2010) articles listed in the Learning Resources. Assess the strategies for engaging in the policy process.
• Consider the barriers to using evidence to affect changes in health care policy discussed in the course text.
• Brainstorm ideas for leading policy development related to your suggested practice approach, as well as ideas for addressing those barriers.
Write a minimum of 550 words essays in APA format with at least 3 references (see attached file) from the list of REQUIRED READINGS below. Include the level one headers as numbered below:
Post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
1) Identify your proposed practice approach in the first line of your posting (See my PIICOT question below).
2) How would you lead policy development for your selected issue?
3) What strategies could you use to overcome barriers you may encounter while engaging policy makers? (Select three or more strategies to focus on in your posting.)